River Wey Navigation
The Wey Navigation is the name given to the navigable parts of the River Wey, in Surrey which runs for 15 miles between the River Thames below Shepperton Lock near Weybridge to Guildford. Some parts of the navigation are canal sections and others are the original River Wey. The river was one of the first in England to be made navigable, beginning in 1635 with work completed in 1653. Originally the Wey Navigations were used to transport barge loads of heavy goods to London via the Thames, whilst coal was brought back. From 1900 to 1963, the Wey Navigation was owned by the Stevens family, who were commercial carriers on the canal. It was donated to the National Trust in 1964 and they operate the Dapdune Wharf Visitor Centre, a former boatyard in Guildford. Beyond Guilford, the navigation is known as the Godalming Navigation.